Saturday, September 16, 2006

 

What's in a Name?

Finding out what your last name means is cool. Learning about its origin is kewler. It's a great project for you and your kids to work on together. The sites below can offer some great help. Have fun!

http://www.last-names.net/
http://www.rootsweb.com

Here's a sappy little poem about last names that's very male centric. I wonder what you ladies feel about names since it's much more common in our society for you to change your names during your lifetime. Let me know what you think:

You got it from your father,
It was all he had to give,
So it's yours to use and cherish
For as long as you live.

If you lose the watch he gave you,
It can always be replaced,
But a black mark on your name, son,
Can never be erased.

It was clean the day you took it,
And a worthy name to bear,
When he took it from his father,
There was no dishonor there.

So make sure you guard it wisely,
After all is said and done,
You'll be glad the name is spotless
When you give it your son.

My father was always proud of the "family name" and, I have to admit, I am too. In a way, I'm proud and relieved that I have a son who will carry on the family name. Still, I find myself wondering about how this whole thing scenario feels for women.

Cheers,

-Kev

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?