Saturday, January 27, 2007

 

In Israel

Tel Aviv is located on the eastern coast of the Mediterranean Sea. It's climate is lovely. Today, it's cool and foggy in the morning (probably 45 degrees Fahrenheit), but a balmy and sunny 71 degrees in the afternoon.

The Israelis are working hard to change the rocky and barren terrain into something much greener. Everywhere you go, there are new forests - many of them less than 20 yrs old. The introduction of new trees improves the environment in a variety of ways. For example, each tree stores 30-40 gallons of water in its trunk and branches. That added water is perspired gradually and, thus, each tree ever so slightly increases the local water table. Similarly, trees drop leaves or needles which add badly needed organic matter to the rocky soil. In fact, I'm not sure if I'd call it soil at all. It's more like gravel.
The city itself is very European and secular. I was initially surprised by how secular the city was until I was reminded that most of the deeply religious people lived in and around Jerusalem, about a 2 hr drive east of here.
I have much work to do, so I fear that I won't get in hardly touring while I'm here. However, I hope to get the chance to see more of Israel. Since I went to Jerusalem last time I was here, I'm trying to decide between a trip down to the Dead Sea area and Massada or a trip up to the Sea of Galilea and the Nazareth area. Either one would be a treat.
Stay well!
-Kevin

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?