Monday, July 16, 2007

 

Emily Turns 14!

I'm astounded at how fast my Emily Kay is growing up. She's getting to be such a grown up lady these days.

Let's see now - she was born on July 16, 1993 at Huntsville Hospital. Dr Aulds was our Ob/Gyn at the time. As I recall it was Kelly's easiest delivery of the bunch. Kelly had her epideral fairly early and was comfortable. The family was all milling about and she was getting tired, so the nurse herded everyone out under the pretense of them getting lunch. But it was really so Kelly could rest. The nurse asked how she was doing and she said, "Good, except for a dull pain here" and she pointed in the region of her bladder.

"Oh my, I forgot to put in your catheter," said the nurse. "Let me do that now."

So she got the gear to do the procedure, pulled back the sheet over Kelly and gasped.

"Don't breath! Don't push! Don't do anything!" She was frantic. I took a peak "down below" and, sure enough, Emily was crowning. The nurse was on the intercom paging the doctor in a near panic.

"Oh my Lord, Kelly, the baby is right there!" I said.

The doctor came in a few moments later with a look on his face that seemed to say "You interrupted something really important. This had better not be a false alarm." But that expression melted away when he examined Kelly.

"OK, on the next contraction, PUSH!" he said, sitting down between Kelly's legs like a baseball catcher. The nurse was busy bustling carts and stuff around to within an arms length of the doctor.

A minute or two later, Kelly pushed - and out came Emily - our beautiful gift from heaven.
I hate to admit it, but I can't quite remember the details of her size or weight. I think she was a bit over 7 lbs and around 20 inches long. But again, I'm not to clear on the details. But she was very beautiful and very sweet. She slept well (still does, often until noon or later) and was a good eater. And, perhaps sweetest of all to me, she knew my voice and would turn towards me anytime she heard me speak.
I love you, Em! Happy 14th Birthday!
-Dad

Labels:


Comments:
I wubb you dada! So. When you gonna start teachin' me to drive?? huh?? HUH!?
 
I remember ... she was 6 lb., 10 oz. and about 18 inches long. You're remembering Dylan's - he was 7 lb., 10 oz., and 20.5 inches long.

Great post!
 
Doh! Well, my memory for that kind of thing never was very good.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?